* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 1
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

November 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Forum Staff

Dark admin Dark
Emperor
Lord Exar admin Lord Exar
Emperor
Gray admin Gray
Emperor
Devnull admin Devnull
Webmaster
Anjin admin Anjin
Emperor
KChung admin KChung
Exalted Member

Author Topic: A must buy game. Pledge now. Comes out at the end of 2014 or early 2015.  (Read 3124 times)

#include

• Ancient One
  • Rep 0
Chris Roberts is famous for his success in space simulators, and he's back making a brand new FIRST PERSON perspective "MMO" space simulation game. It looks F A N T A S T I C. I can't wait. I'm going all out on it and even getting an Oculus Rift for it. I've already pledged $750 towards the game and the game is nearing $10 million dollars in pledges. Yours truly is also a super mod on the official forums.

Sign up and join me in space! I'd appreciate you adding me as a referral if you do sign up. Just put dangearn22@hotmail.com for my referral ID or sign up via the following link:
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/?rid=35839

Here's the pitch video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0&hd=1

CalibuR

• Master of DLS :)
  • Ancient One
  • Rep 1340
  • Supreme Commander Asshat
lol seriously... $750 for a video game....

The game looks like it'll be good though.

Devnull

• Just awesome
  • Webmaster
  • Rep 69

#include

• Ancient One
  • Rep 0
"MMO"
What does that mean?

Massive Multiplayer Online.    There is a singleplayer/coop campaign called Squadron 42. After you are finished with that, you go into the persistent universe which is the MMO part of it. Open space with people doing their own thing. There's also a single server so it's open world PVP, though there are serious checks and balances in place to prevent mindless killing without some serious penalties. Pirates will have open bounties on their heads and such.

CalibuR

• Ancient One
  • Rep 1340

Devnull

• Just awesome
  • Webmaster
  • Rep 69
Yes I know what MMO means, I was asking why it was in quotes, because that usually means "sort of, but not really".

But I believe I found a clearer explanation of game modes:
"Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. "
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:56:14 AM by Devnull »

#include

• Ancient One
  • Rep 0
Yes I know what MMO means, I was asking why it was in quotes, because that usually means "sort of, but not really".

But I believe I found a clearer explanation of game modes:
"Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. "
Ah, well it's an MMO but not an MMO that most people would think. It has an open world universe, but it keeps track of where everything is with coding magic. As a player is flying, it is generating space instances on the fly (no loading screens or fade in\outs) and takes the information of what is there and puts it into the instance. In general, it's generating instances on the fly constantly. In standard MMOs, everything is just "there", even if a player is not. In this, nothing is there if there are no players, but the universe manager keeps track of what "would" be there so if a player comes through the area, it puts it all into place.

For example, let's say an NPC merchant is traveling from A to B in Sector Rawr. As there are no players, the universe doesn't bother to actually place the merchant there. It just keeps track that the NPC has a travel time of X and is going through Sector Rawr from this direction to that direction. There is no instance generated. It just "knows" something would be there. If a player would happen to enter that Sector, bam... an instance is generated and you'd see a merchant traveling from A to B.

From your point of view, it was there the whole time. The game generates instances on the fly. However, there are some limitations to this style...while it allows you to have a MASSIVE universe with no loading and little to no lag since most everything is kept track by numbers and not constantly generating millions of models all over the place, it also can't track EVERYTHING...so if you drop some cargo out into space then leave that instance, the instance closes and the cargo vanishes. It's a necessary evil in order for a game of this magnitude to be possible.

Xanatos

• Legend
  • Rep 0
Re: A must buy game. Pledge now. Comes out at the end of 2014 or early 2015.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:23:06 PM »
Seriously? Fucking awesome.
"Those who are victims have no one to blame but themselves.
They do not deserve pity; they are victims because of their own failures and weaknesses."

"Just before the turn of the year, -|DLS|- encountered it's second real hardships. Xanatos was removed from clan altogether for having his own thoughts about how the clan should be run." -DLS History

CalibuR

• Ancient One
  • Rep 1340
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 11:00:30 PM »
So, $750 and 5 years later, how's that working out for you ? :P

Devnull

• Just awesome
  • Webmaster
  • Rep 69
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 11:59:50 AM »
lol

Kakashi

• Ancient One
  • Rep 1
  • "Kakashi. Has. Spoken."
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 06:45:13 PM »
Ha Dev is alive!
No, you don't get it, thats why I'm telling you. You think you get it, which isn't the same as actually getting it. Get it?

Proud member ofNG-NP-C and A-SF

I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.